eCite Digital Repository

Robert Falcon Scott: A Tasmanian connection

Citation

Quilty, PG and Winter, G, Robert Falcon Scott: A Tasmanian connection, Polar Record, 48, (2) pp. 192-194. ISSN 0032-2474 (2012) [Non Refereed Article]


Preview
PDF
746Kb
  

Copyright Statement

Copyright 2011 Cambridge University Press

DOI: doi:10.1017/S0032247411000283

Abstract

The Edge Anglican church (originally St Alban's) in the northern Hobart suburb of Claremont has above its main altar a triptych stained glass window, a memorial to Robert Falcon Scott R.N. New information suggests that the designer/manufacturer was Auguste Fischer of Melbourne, a close associate of the church's architect, Alan Cameron Walker of Hobart. The window was promised by Mrs Edith Knight at the laying of the foundation stone of the church in July 1913, five months after Scott's death became known to the world. Lady Ellison-Macartney attended the ceremony. She was Scott's sister and wife of the recently appointed governor of Tasmania, Sir William Ellison-Macartney. Other members of Scott's family were also living in Hobart at the time. The Ellison-Macartneys and their daughter Esther attended the dedication of the window on 17 October 1915. Admiral E.R.G.R. Evans, second in command of Scott's expedition, spoke to The Royal Society of Tasmania on 29 March 1930, on the topic of Scott's last Antarctic venture. © 2011 Cambridge University Press.

Item Details

Item Type:Non Refereed Article
Research Division:History and Archaeology
Research Group:Curatorial and Related Studies
Research Field:Heritage and Cultural Conservation
Objective Division:Cultural Understanding
Objective Group:Understanding Past Societies
Objective Field:Understanding Australia's Past
Author:Quilty, PG (Dr Pat Quilty)
ID Code:81610
Year Published:2012
Deposited By:Earth Sciences
Deposited On:2012-12-19
Last Modified:2014-08-27
Downloads:248 View Download Statistics

Repository Staff Only: item control page