Bakhtiar, A and te Riele, K and Sutton, G, Supporting Expecting and Parenting Teens (SEPT) Trial - Independent Evaluation: Final Report, Peter Underwood Centre for Educational Attainment, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania (2020) [Contract Report]
The national Supporting Expecting and Parenting Teens (SEPT) Program is provided by the Brave Foundation and funded through a Try Test and Learn (TTL) grant from the federal Department of Social Services (DSS). The Brave Foundation commissioned the Peter Underwood Centre to examine its SEPT trial. The purpose of this project-specific evaluation for SEPT is:
The primary focus of the research is on processes to determine how the SEPT approach has worked. As part of this, a secondary focus is on outcomes, to determine whether SEPT met its aims. This executive summary highlights that:
- There is a strong need for SEPT as an early intervention, due to the large number of teenage mothers in Australia and their complex needs.
- The collaborative approach of SEPT is highly appropriate and combines the benefit of being a nationally coordinated initiative with locally tailored approaches.
- The Brave Foundation has proven to be strongly responsive in relation to program implementation issues, participant needs and circumstances, and shifting policy contexts.
- The Brave Foundation has demonstrated a strong commitment to documenting progress and outcomes and established sound processes, despite complexities in setting up data management systems at the same time as setting up the intervention.
- The SEPT trial has enabled significant achievements by participants and is realising successes in relation the programís broad aims.
|Item Type:||Contract Report|
|Keywords:||teenage parents, social disadvantage, intervention, evaluation|
|Research Division:||Human Society|
|Research Field:||Applied sociology, program evaluation and social impact assessment|
|Objective Division:||Law, Politics and Community Services|
|Objective Group:||Community services|
|Objective Field:||Carers' support|
|UTAS Author:||Bakhtiar, A (Ms Aishah Bakhtiar)|
|UTAS Author:||te Riele, K (Professor Kitty te Riele)|
|UTAS Author:||Sutton, G (Ms Georgia Sutton)|
|Deposited By:||Peter Underwood Centre for Educational Attainment|
|Downloads:||1 View Download Statistics|
Repository Staff Only: item control page