eCite Digital Repository

Fast-ice distribution in East Antarctica during 1997 and 1999 determined using RADARSAT data

Citation

Giles, AB and Massom, RA and Lytle, VI, Fast-ice distribution in East Antarctica during 1997 and 1999 determined using RADARSAT data, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 113, (C2) Article C02S14. ISSN 0148-0227 (2008) [Refereed Article]


Preview
PDF
908Kb
  

Copyright Statement

Copyright 2008 American Geophysical Union

DOI: doi:10.1029/2007JC004139

Abstract

[1] We present the first detailed maps of fast ice around East Antarctica (75E170E), using an image correlation technique applied to RADARSAT ScanSAR images from November in 1997 and 1999. This method is based upon searching for, and distinguishing, correlated regions of the ice‐covered ocean which remain stationary, in contrast to adjacent moving pack ice. Within the overlapping longitudinal range of ∼86E150.6E, the total fast‐ice area is 141,450 km2 in 1997 and 152,216 km2 in 1999. Calibrated radar backscatter data are also used to determine the distribution of two fast‐ice classes based on their surface roughness characteristics. These are "smooth" fast ice (−25.4 dB to −13.5 dB) and "rough" fast ice (−13.5 dB to −2.5 dB). The former comprises ∼67% of the total area, with rough fast ice making up the remaining ∼33%. An estimate is made of fast‐ice volume, on the basis of fast‐ice type as a proxy measure of ice thickness and area. Results suggest that although fast ice forms 216% of the total November sea ice area for this sector of East Antarctica in 1997 and 1999 (average 8.3% across maps), it may comprise 657% of the total ice volume (average ∼28% across maps). Grounded icebergs play a key role in fast‐ice distribution in all regions apart from 150E170E. These are "snapshot" estimates only, and more work is required to determine longer‐term spatiotemporal variability.

Item Details

Item Type:Refereed Article
Keywords:Antarctic, landfast sea ice, extent, Radarsat, synthetic aperture radar
Research Division:Earth Sciences
Research Group:Physical Geography and Environmental Geoscience
Research Field:Glaciology
Objective Division:Expanding Knowledge
Objective Group:Expanding Knowledge
Objective Field:Expanding Knowledge in the Physical Sciences
UTAS Author:Giles, AB (Dr Barry Giles)
UTAS Author:Massom, RA (Dr Robert Massom)
ID Code:129196
Year Published:2008
Web of Science® Times Cited:28
Deposited By:CRC-Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems
Deposited On:2018-11-14
Last Modified:2018-12-11
Downloads:21 View Download Statistics

Repository Staff Only: item control page