eCite Digital Repository
Pre-translocation assessment of biology and ecology
Commander, L and Auld, T and Rossetto, M and Ooi, M and Reiter, N and Swarts, N and Monks, L and Byrne, M, Pre-translocation assessment of biology and ecology, Guidelines for the Translocation of Threatened Plants in Australia, Australian Network for Plant Conservation, LE Commander, DJ Coates, L Broadhurst, CA Offord, RO Makinson and M Matthes (ed), Australia, pp. 31-45. ISBN 978-0-9752191-3-3 (2018) [Research Book Chapter]
Copyright 2018 Australian Network for Plant Conservation
Official URL: http://anpc.asn.au/translocation
The considerations and information required when deciding whether to translocate a particular threatened plant species were discussed in Chapter 2. Once a decision to translocate has been made, further information - ecological, reproductive biology, genetic, environmental and logistical - is required to allow detailed plans to be developed and to enhance translocation success.
A translocation program should not commence or be approved until all of the following questions can be answered:
- Has an established recovery team for the species assisted with the pre-translocation assessment or has a suitable translocation working group been established as outlined in Section 3.1?
- Are relevant aspects of the taxon’s reproductive biology and ecology adequately understood (Section 3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 3.5)?
- Have experts on the genus been consulted?
- Has an assessment of the need for genetic research been conducted in consultation with a population geneticist and has any necessary genetic research been conducted (Section 3.3)?
- Have propagation methods been determined (Section 3.5)?
|Item Type:||Research Book Chapter|
|Keywords:||threatened plants, translocation, orchids, endangered species|
|Research Division:||Environmental Sciences|
|Research Group:||Environmental management|
|Research Field:||Conservation and biodiversity|
|Objective Division:||Environmental Management|
|Objective Group:||Terrestrial systems and management|
|Objective Field:||Terrestrial biodiversity|
|UTAS Author:||Swarts, N (Dr Nigel Swarts)|
|Deposited By:||TIA - Research Institute|
Repository Staff Only: item control page